- Match Report
Attack on Titans Found Wanting
by Aidan Sarawan
On a blistering day in Sano, the wommies decided to embrace Japanese punctuality standards and get to the ground on time for a change. Ground preparation was done accordingly, and the wommies looked like an organized team getting in some light practice before “kickoff”, but this time the culprits were the umpires who arrived late on the scene…
The wommies were put into the field by the Titans winning the toss earlier. Into the furnace went the wommies went with Belayet and Ashish, given new ball duties. Belayet had the ball talking with some great movement, but the Titans looked to take on the bowlers and make full use of the power play. In came one of our new recruits Kato Tetsuro who bowled with some decent pace!
The wommies bowler of the day belonged to the ever faithful wommie Joe Lewis taking 2 of 4 with a decent economy rate of 5.0. His fantastic bowling was backed in the field by the Wombats players, especially by Tanzeem taking a catch running backwards and Kobayashi Rex taking a hattrick of catches at cow corner. The Titans kept finding him, and he gladly pocketed them. The wommies bowlers tried their best in the scorching heat, Ashish, Yohan and Burhan chipping in as well with a few wickets, ending the innings off on a high with some additional motivation going into the start of the 2nd innings.
184 was the target set by the Titans which was definitely doable considering the batting talent in the lineup. After a swift 10 min drinks break (mind you it was sweltering out there), the openers Rexy and Tetsuro took their guard. Rexy with a new bat in hand wanting to show everyone what his new willow could do was unfortunately run out early. In came skipper Ali and together with Tetsuro built a nice partnership giving it back to the Titans bowlers. Tetsuro was striking the ball sweetly, managing to rotate the strike frequently while Ali with his finesse shots looked to cash in on being dropped twice but was unfortunately, “robbed” by the umpires giving him a “dodgy” LBW call leaving for an aggressively well played 35 off 26.
Tanzeem joined Tetsuro at the crease and both batsmen tried to increase the run rate which was steadily dropping, but unfortunately to no avail, with Tetsuro departing on a silky 19 off 25. After that, the required rate kept creeping up (more like rapidly escalating) piling pressure on the wombats who succumbed to it with the middle order and tail not contributing much, miserably collapsing from 76 / 3 to 102 all out.
Even though there were some questionable umpiring decisions… The wommies after being battered and bruised still had a smile on their faces and the afternoon was enjoyed by a chef like Biryani courtesy of Atiq!
The match was live-streamed on YouTube:
On to the next one we go!
|Tokyo Wombats CC vs Tokyo Titans CC|
|JCL T20 2023, SICG 1, Tochigi, August 19, 2023|
|Toss||Tokyo Titans CC|
|Result||Tokyo Titans CC won by 81 runs|
|TWCC MoM||M Ali|
|Tokyo Titans CC Innings: 183/8 (20.0 overs)|
|M Singh||c R Kobayashi b J Lewis||29||22||5||0||131.82|
|A Keshkamat||c T Khedekar b J Lewis||33||26||6||0||126.92|
|A Chandraiah*||c R Kobayashi b A Jindal||18||13||4||0||138.46|
|M Saini||c R Kobayashi b A Jindal||2||6||0||0||33.33|
|A Yunus||c M Ali† b Y Alvis||31||21||2||2||147.62|
|S Hussain||run out (B Ali / M Ali)||21||18||0||1||116.67|
|R Thakuri||run out (T Kato / M Ali)||27||15||2||1||180.00|
|N Thakur||c M Ali b B Yunus||0||1||0||0||0.00|
|R Chandimal||not out||0||1||0||0||0.00|
|Extras||(b 2, lb 3, w 14, nb 3)||22|
|Fall of wickets|
|Tokyo Wombats CC Innings: 102 (18.5 overs)|
|R Kobayashi||run out (M Singh / A Chandraiah)||1||1||0||0||100.00|
|T Kato||c & b M Saini||19||25||1||0||76.00|
|M Ali*||lbw b M Singh||35||26||5||1||134.62|
|T Khedekar||c A Keshkamat b M Singh||7||9||1||0||77.78|
|Y Alvis||c R Thakuri b N Thakur||12||18||0||1||66.67|
|A Jindal||st A Chandraiah b M Singh||3||9||0||0||33.33|
|A Sarawan||run out (S Hussain / A Chandraiah)||3||7||0||0||42.86|
|B Yunus||b N Thakur||0||3||0||0||0.00|
|A Haque||b R Thakuri||0||6||0||0||0.00|
|B Ali||lbw b N Thakur||2||5||0||0||40.00|
|J Lewis||not out||0||1||0||0||0.00|
|Extras||(b 1, lb 2, w 17 nb 0)||20|
|Fall of wickets|
- Rex: Three of them but one on the long on while running on left and taking a diving catch was one of the best for the day – outstanding
- Tanzeem, cool under pressure, can’t nominate myself for three blinders but whatever (wonder who wrote this one?!)
- Burhan: Making his debut and dropping at short third man. An easy catch which later cost us a lot. Burhan proved to be a true wombat on his debut
- Belayet and Atiqul both got smacked in the face!! a terrific Wombats team effort drop!
- Aiden: Can I f**king write the match report. I need to report this umpire for his shit decision
- Yohan asking for towel to his Wife and Rex informing him to ask with “Please”
- “Don’t bowl extras.” Skippers wise words to a wombat bowling unit who were apparently only bowling extras previously as some sort of elaborate strategy and not because we’re a bit shit.
Great Moments in Sport
- Joe: In a game where everyone was being hammered, joe came and got 2 wickets in an over
- Aidan: for being wrongly given out on a stump and losing his control when he returned to dugout
- Joe complaining that kobayaashi had more catches then he had wickets
Golden Thong Nominations
- Tetsu running out Rex for 1 after getting him suspended in the previous game. The start of a beautiful friendship?
- Yohan taking 10 minutes to pad up when he was meant to be at the crease